- Adopted 2021 City Council Goals
Adopted 2021 City Council Goals
City of Willits | 2021 Goals
Develop and implement a long-range Fiscal Sustainability Plan for City finances in order to promote the City’s economic health by balancing revenues and expenditures to solve systemic problems.
- Adopt annual balanced budgets.
- Review options for pension liability reduction.
- Develop a plan to replenish reserves.
- Provide the community with annual report on the use of increasing revenues related to Measure K, cannabis revenues and tourism revenues (annual City reporting).
Work towards Willits becoming an Environmental Model City by reducing the City’s carbon footprint by 50 percent, promoting greater energy independence from utility companies and strengthening the City’s resiliency and self-reliance.
- Review and where feasible implement, options for alternative (non-fossil fuel) energy at City facilities.
- Explore options for converting vehicle fleet to electric power.
- Enact regulations regarding plastic bags, herbicides, Styrofoam, etc.
- Become a Tree City.
- Continue to implement Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.
Create a realistic staffing plan for the City that will enable the City Council to budget for appropriate current and future staffing to address the City’s/Community’s needs (Public Works Director for example).
Develop a program to increase public awareness of the City’s efforts to maintain and improve the City.
- Release articles via social media, newspaper, and radio and through community partners on a regular consistent, and ongoing basis to keep the public informed of the progress we are making on their behalf.
Complete an update to the City’s General Plan to be used to guide future development within the City including encouragement of housing opportunities and sustainable economic development. Estimated time frame is 3-5 years.
- Complete a review of Plan Elements (components) and environmental document to determine timing, and sequencing and costs to expedite completion.
- Identify team members both internally and externally who will complete the work.
- Seek grants and other funding sources to complete work.
- Complete a zoning update to implement Land Use Element of the General Plan once it is updated.
Develop a plan to encourage the construction of new housing and the preservation of existing housing stock for the City.
- Utilize work already completed in the Housing Element Update to identify housing opportunity sites within the City.
- Identify grant opportunities through the Federal Community Development Block Grant program to incentivize “affordable housing” and upgrade projects.
- Fund and implement a comprehensive Code Enforcement Program.
Develop and implement economic development strategies for the City of Willits that will promote the development and maintenance of strong business sector including business retention and attraction, tourism, marketing and revenue generation.
- Continue to implement the Vacant Building Program as well as other programs to enhance the downtown core.
- Work with partners to promote program focused on bringing visitors to the City.
- Identify funding through the Cares Act and other sources to be used for the development of a business support program.
- Continue implementation of the Main Street Corridor Enhancement Program.
Develop and complete a plan to annex properties adjacent to the City that are currently in the County.
- Complete Pre-zoning process.
- Complete a Sphere of Influence (SOI) adjustment through the Local Agency Formation Commission.
- Negotiate a tax-sharing agreement with the County.
Maintain a Public Safety Agency capable of maintaining a safe community utilizing up to date law enforcement tools and delivering emergency services to the citizens and businesses of Willits in a responsive and proactive manner.
- Continue the implementation of the Council-adopted Staffing Plan.
- Interact with the City’s Emergency partners to complete the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) that will reflect the City Manager as Chief Emergency Officer.
- Develop a Community Policing Program and Community Outreach Plan One.
- Continue to implement an Equipment Replacement Program and upgrade facilities as resources permit.
- Set performance goals and develop recruitment incentives where possible.
Maintain and improve infrastructure systems of water, wastewater, public facilities and streets capable of managing future growth while responding to current City needs.
- Develop and implement a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) covering a five-year period that prioritizes projects according to necessity while identifying timing and funding.
- Complete and implement a comprehensive Groundwater Management Plan.
- Maintain the relationships with Brooktrails.
- Complete update to Flood Control Plan.
Increase public use of facilities over the next three years to foster civic pride, improve health, and support recreation efforts for greater involvement in local government, dependent on financing.
- Improve lighting and ambiance in the Community Center.
- Modernize the octagon at Rec Grove with a commercial kitchen to promote greater use and increased food safety for community groups renting the facility.
- Install play structures at the soccer fields to increase recreational opportunities for kids of all ages.
Develop a City Street Improvement Program capable of bringing 25 percent of City Streets to a PCI of 85 or greater within the next five years.
- Continue with annual Pavement Preservation Projects to maintain street quality and extend road life, using the 2019 “State of the Roads” report as guidance.
- Work with Cal Trans to properly paint and restripe portions still under Caltrans control to improve safety.
- Develop and fund maintenance program for US 101/Main Street.